Next to the Paubaya dress of Julia, this Baby Doll Dress is also taking over Shopee! You probably encountered this dress a few times worn by celebrities or most likely your fave fashion influencers had them on their IG stories.
Baby doll dresses are those that fit nicely across shoulders and the skirt drops nicely from the bust down to few inches above the knee. A dress you can’t ignore in Shopee and will make you click, Find Similar!! So here are a few of the reasons why this kind of dress is a must-have.
1.) So much history in this dress
- This dress came out first as a nightwear during 1940’s from the American lingerie designer, Sylvia Pedlar. And because of the fabric shortage during WWII, nightgowns were cut very very short calling it babydoll dress. See, even a fabric shortage couldn’t stop women from wearing lingerie!
2.) Feminist dress
- This came out as daywear in the ’60s as a form of feminine liberation from the norm of narrow waists corsetry, and social conservatism as by couturiers, Balenciaga, and Givenchy.
Sketch for a baby doll dress and the final garment, 1959Courtesy of Archives Balenciaga, Paris
Related Article: Feminism Clothing for your Loungewear Outfit!
3.) Square Neckline and French retro sleeves!
- Square necks could accentuate your collar area without the worry of plunging too much unnecessary skin. Hence the achieved sexy feminine look without being a tease!!
- With all the fashion comebacks, the French retro sleeves are my fave!! It’s like wearing a renaissance feel in contrast with modernity. The voluminous sleeves automatically add depth and drama to your look. Could also hide flabby arms!
4.) You could never go wrong with the size
- Getting the wrong size is one of the major problems of ordering clothes online. With the loose fit of the baby doll dress, getting the wrong size wouldn’t be much of a problem. The structured form of the dress will do the trick!
This is where I got my baby doll dress. Some baby doll dresses are overpriced in IG shops and this store is fairly priced! https://shopee.ph/krizzabucks
5.) Hide belly bulges or flappy arms
- Let’s face it, we don’t feel body-positive all the time. There are days when we feel body-neutral like it’s ok if we acknowledge that we have PMS bloat or buffet bloat or flappy arms. And the baby doll could save the day!
6.) The overall lewk!
- Three things – laidback, sweet, and easy-comfy!
So it’s easy to think that this baby doll dress is a symbol of women’s strength for liberation from the social norm and still looking sweet and feminine!